Zig vs D generics

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:19:57 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 16:50:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 16:22:50 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>> Is D a system language or it is a language to do websites?
>>
>> Can D's GC compete with Javascript's V8 GC?
>
> Now you confuse me. We were talking about why C++ is less
> needed in GUI development now in comparison to the 90s.
>
> Javascript has been used for iPhone apps for at least a decade,
> in WebViews. Regular end users often didn't notice the
> difference as they were dressed up as native widgets and fine
> tuned. Or they used native widgets controlled by JavaScript.
>
> JavaScript, Lua and other scripting languages have been used
> for GUIs of games, mobile apps and desktop apps even when the
> application engine is written in C++.
>
> The ui-logic is often not very demanding. Which is why this
> approach makes sense.

The topic was why Apple ditch C++/LLVM and why it's being phased
out as a language

Then you said some things about the future is JIT and GCs

Then i said, that's why D doesn't grow

You derailed, i tried to put topic on track

OP title is "Zig vs D generics", not GCs, JITs or C++

Otherwise we do Java and we don't need generics, or we do
Javascript and dynamic and we don't need no struct