A D vs. Rust example

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri Oct 21 13:14:41 UTC 2022

On Friday, 21 October 2022 at 11:51:46 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> The main issue for D is a lack of strategy that involves
> architecting a modern D compiler, that people want to work on,
> and an objective strategy for selecting design issues that
> needs to be addressed.
>
> Without a solid strategy you can neither get rid of design
> issues or grow in a predictable manner.  For an outsider D as a
> project looks more like a one-man-person-with-entourage than a
> cooperative effort. This does not grow confidence in the
> project.

Yes, that's my take on it too. The only way out of this is that D
is forked. Problem with this is that language designers and
people with good understanding in compiler technology are not the
average programmer and are rare. If you are one of those and want
to continue evolving D, then fork it rather than trying to fight
this project.