A D vs. Rust example

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 20:54:32 UTC 2022

On 10/27/22 11:50, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:

 > Modern browsers such as Firefox and Chrome are nothing like NSCA Mosaic
 > or gopher.

Ok.

 > They are runtimes for application development/games.

Ok.

 > You
 > cannot make a competitive runtime if your foundation is a source for
 > non-deterministic effects and unnecessary resource consumption.

Your argument seems to be based on finding a narrow case where your
point is true and then concluding that some other related thing is
false. Here, just because we can imagine a case where "non-deterministic
effects and unnecessary resource consumption" can be harmful, D is not
usable.

That kind of argumentation was used before:

- "There are corner cases where ranges are inferior to iterators, so
ranges must be bad." This logic is proven to be wrong because we know
from experience that ranges are very useful.

- "There are corner cases where 'static if' does not make sense, so
'static if' is bad." This conclusion is proven to be wrong because we
have tons of experience that 'static if' is very useful. (Some
"considerate" C++ "experts" failed on this one.)

Now, to break your logic, I present Weka.IO, world's fastest file
system, written in D. Period.

Having that example in front of me, I bet even I can write a browser
that would be considered "modern".

 > It is possible, but not workable.

As I've shown above, it is possible and workable.

Ali