A D vs. Rust example

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 22:11:43 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 27 October 2022 at 20:54:32 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> Your argument seems to be based on finding a narrow case where
> your point is true and then concluding that some other related
> thing is false. Here, just because we can imagine a case where
> "non-deterministic effects and unnecessary resource
> consumption" can be harmful, D is not usable.

No. The argument was whether it makes sense to use Rust for
building the core engine of Firefox or not. The position I argued
against was that you could just as well do it with a standard
freeze-the-world GC or Go with full GC. The argument isn't
strictly related to D, that is something you brought to the table.

99% of all languages use some kind of GC, most of the programs
written are done using some kind of GC. Having automatic memory
management is the norm, not the outlier.

That does not mean that non-GC applications can be replaced with
a run-of-the-mill GC solution and be competitive. It makes sense
to use languages like Rust for even mundane things like cloud web
services where you want to conserve memory.

I am not a Rust user at this point, but I also don't assume that
people who use it don't understand the tradeoffs.

> Now, to break your logic, I present Weka.IO, world's fastest
> file system, written in D. Period.

Do they use the regular D GC all the way?

> As I've shown above, it is possible and workable.

I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to here.