Is D really that bad?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:28:17 UTC 2022

On Friday, 28 October 2022 at 09:51:04 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> And still, people still think Zig is better for some reason.

I don't think it makes much sense to talk about better or worse
without a use case. Zig seems to aim for embedded like settings,
but I don't like the language design regardless, as of today. But
that could change.

> Yes, D has it's flaws, true. But it's far from unfixable? Or is
> that what people believe?

You cannot predict the future, but if you go 10 years back and
identify things that ought to be fixed (in the sense that it
would make the language more broadly appealing) and find that
those issues are still there, then there must be something making
it difficult to address. Could be the current compiler code base,
could be other things.

Keeping the same process makes it improbable that there will be a
significant change, for good or bad.

> Forget about Jai, Odin, Beef and all those languages.

Why forget about Jai? If it gains traction in a specific domain
like games, why not use it?

(There are also plenty of others in the works: Carbon, Circle,
C++2.0, V etc)