Is D really that bad?

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 16:00:19 UTC 2022

On Friday, 28 October 2022 at 11:28:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 28 October 2022 at 09:51:04 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> And still, people still think Zig is better for some reason.
>
> I don't think it makes much sense to talk about better or worse
> without a use case. Zig seems to aim for embedded like
> settings, but I don't like the language design regardless, as
> of today. But that could change.
>

>> Yes, D has it's flaws, true. But it's far from unfixable? Or
>> is that what people believe?
>
> You cannot predict the future, but if you go 10 years back and
> identify things that ought to be fixed (in the sense that it
> would make the language more broadly appealing) and find that
> those issues are still there, then there must be something
> making it difficult to address. Could be the current compiler
> code base, could be other things.
>
> Keeping the same process makes it improbable that there will be
> a significant change, for good or bad.
>
>> Forget about Jai, Odin, Beef and all those languages.
>
> Why forget about Jai? If it gains traction in a specific domain
> like games, why not use it?
>
> (There are also plenty of others in the works: Carbon, Circle,
> C++2.0, V etc)

I see what you're saying. But you miss my point a bit. I know
about all those languages and I have talked with the communities
and got a peek inside. It's not really that appealing.

I seriously think we should try and "fix" D instead of chasing
everything else.
Focus on expressiveness, plasticity and stability. We don't have
to be best at *everything*, but we can be decent. Also I think,
if we just fixed up some things, D would be pretty competitive
(well, more than it is now), and become at least top 20 again. I
don't think it has to be top 10. Top 25 is enough for more
adoption.