Is D really that bad?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:59:58 UTC 2022

On Friday, 28 October 2022 at 16:00:19 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> I seriously think we should try and "fix" D instead of chasing
> everything else.
> Focus on expressiveness, plasticity and stability. We don't
> have to be best at *everything*, but we can be decent.

Well, I am happy that there is a focus on no-gc support now, but
I wonder if it will reach a competitive stage where language
features dont rely on a GC. I dont sense any urgency in how this
is approached, so maybe it wont happen.  Until then many looking
for a system level programming alternative will choose another
language. But then again maybe that low level market is getting
saturated now and it would be better for D to become more high
level...

Either way, defining a key type of application development that D
should be best for is needed to define missing/incomplete
features.

Without such a definition I think it will be difficult to agree
on what to «fix» outside of obvious bugs.