Is D really that bad?

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 28 22:10:44 UTC 2022

On Friday, 28 October 2022 at 21:11:00 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 08:41:13PM +0000, Ali via Digitalmars-d
> wrote: [...]
>> I dont know what is it exactly about D that drive so many
>> people to have that much sympathy for it
>
> Maybe, just maybe, D does a lot of things right, in spite of
> doing a few
> things wrong (that people love to pick on and complain about)?
> ;-)
>
> What I can't explain, though, is why people who purportedly
> hate D and think it's DOA still linger around the D forums for
> some reason, and spend a lot of time and energy writing about
> why D sux.  Instead of, y'know, moving on to Rust and living
> happily ever after, or something. What's keeping them here?
> Maybe they secretly love D and just can't admit it to
> themselves? :-P  OR maybe they just have too much time on their
> hands that could have been spent, I dunno, writing Rust or
> something.  Really makes one wonder why they aren't spending
> their time writing code in a better (according to them)
> language rather than complaining about a language they
> purportedly don't like, in a forum dedicated to that language.
> It's puzzling.

Maybe dissapointment that hopes were not justified..
Long time no hear from Chris :) He was angry about breaking
changes with new version of compiler and that he had to rewrite
his >100k loc project if I remember correctly.

I've seen also similar example - one member was part of
D-community and wrote some projects in D and put his time and
effort (making projects, bug reports). But after that he lost his
hope or maybe some other bad experience, or just other tools
resolve his problems.
Now everytime when he see on one IT-news website, if someone
mentioning D in the comments - he make a lot of replies how D is
bad, that some bugs (his bugs) have not fixed more than 10 years.
On question "why so serious and negative?" - he is answering that
at first he was ambassador of D, but it was big waste of his time
and he would like to save others from this fate.