Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 20:08:21 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 10 September 2022 at 17:48:15 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> What's ironic about this discussion is the exact opposite
> happened with D bitfields.

There's no irony, the two situations are not comparable.

With bitfields, the current situation is we have std.bitmanip in
Phobos, which has its own simple layout scheme, doesn't break
meta programming, but has ugly syntax.

The proposal was to make D additionally inherit C's bitfields,
which has C's platform-dependent layout scheme, breaks meta
programming, but has nice syntax.

With binary literals, the current situation is we have a
perfectly fine implementation in the lexer, with the proposal to
replace it with a Phobos template to do the exact same but with
worse user experience.

What *is* ironic though, is that [you were
against](https://forum.dlang.org/post/qs9cf2$kbt$1@digitalmars.com) deprecating `q"EOS text EOS"` strings, dismissing complexity concerns and siding with user experience. Now you're doing the reverse.