Weekly D updates 5th-12th August 2022

RazvanN razvan.nitu1305 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:08:44 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 11:47:30 UTC, matheus wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 10:44:47 UTC, Sergey wrote:
>> Does “Wontfix” mean that it is not a bug, it is a feature?
>
> I had the same question in another thread like this, I think it
> would be nice to have a bit of insight about this one and
> Invalid.
>
> Matheus.

As there is no official definitions for the categories, I'm just
going to lay out what I understand as being the difference
between the two:

1. WONTFIX means that the reported issue might have some merit,
however, due to other circumstances the feature or fix that is
being asked for is not going to be implemented. Reasons for that
may be: the proposed feature does not bring a reasonable benefit,
the implementation might add unreasonable complexity, the fix
might cause massive breaking changes, the feature that is request
does not bode well with other language features etc.

2. INVALID means that the bug report comes from a
misunderstanding of the spec or the compiler features, or the
code snippet that is reported contains a bug etc.

The fundamental difference between the two is that a WONTFIX bug
report might have some merit, but because of various reasons it
is not going to be pursued, whereas an INVALID bug report does
not have any grounds for asking for a change.

That being said, there might be situations where the difference
between a category or another are not that obvious so people
might mislabel bug reports. If that is the case, feel free to
comment on the bug report page to make a case for what you think
the right labeling is.

I hope this brings more light in the distinction.

Cheers,
RazvanN