What features of D you would not miss?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 08:40:22 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 05:58:53 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote (on the thread about binary literals):
>> But it doesn't disprove the fact that *sometimes*, hex digits
>> aren't as clear.
>
> Does sometimes justify a language feature, when there are other
> ways?
>
> People often complain that D has too many features. What
> features would you say are not worth it?

This is a good question, but would quickly derail the original
thread from it's topic, so I decided to start a new one.

What features could be removed from D if it were up to you?
Please consider the breakage that would result from the removal,
don't settle on thinking what shouldn't have been added in the
first place.

Quoting direct replies to the question from the original thread.

On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 13:30:46 UTC, Adam D Ruppe
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 05:58:53 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> People often complain that D has too many features. What
>> features would you say are not worth it?
>
> ImportC, -betterC, @nogc, nothrow, @live. These things don't
> even *work* on their own terms, and they continue to have
> additional downstream effects over several parts of D and the
> ecosystem. Massive complication for little benefit.
>
> To a lesser extent, @safe and dip1000 can go too.

On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 14:28:40 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 9/14/22 1:58 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> People often complain that D has too many features. What
>> features would you say are not worth it?
>>

> There's a difference between "not worth adding" and "not worth
> keeping". Removing features needs a very high bar to make
> sense. Adding features also needs a high bar, considering that
> it's more difficult to remove later than it is to not add it.
>
> That being said, if binary literals weren't in the language,
> I'd be fine adding them. They don't cost anything, and add a
> way to write code that is clearer in some cases.
>
> If I had to pick at gunpoint an established language feature to
> remove, it would be betterC. But I can't see any features I'd
> *want* to remove. D's features are pretty nice.
>
> -Steve