What features of D you would not miss?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 09:11:15 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 15 September 2022 at 08:40:22 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> What features could be removed from D if it were up to you?
> Please consider the breakage that would result from the
> removal, don't settle on thinking what shouldn't have been
> added in the first place.

Personally I'd agree with Walter that hex literals are usually
better and the possiblity for a library solution makes binary
literals even less necessary. I wouldn't personally miss binary
literals. But all the contrary feedback in that thread convinced
me that many would, so it'd be a bad removal especially
considering how simple it is for the compiler/spec.

Other ideas:

- All the stuff that is deprecated already, according to the
removal schelude.

- `@live`. It's a good experimental concept for a future DIP to
build on, but does not currently justify it's complexity in a
real project.

- `@property`, as said in another thread. well maybe not removed,
but changed to a no-op. With a deprecation period, warnings given
for uses that depend on current semantics of it.

- `lazy`, if DIP1033 is awaken and accepted. With a deprecation
period of course.

  - Old alias syntax `alias originalName Alias`. I'd prefer `alias
this` to also use the new syntax. Again, deprecation period
needed.