Cppfront : A new syntax for C++

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Sep 17 14:57:40 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 11:55:16 UTC, Tejas wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 11:41:18 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>> On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 11:08:37 UTC, Tejas wrote:
>>> https://github.com/hsutter/cppfront
>>>
>>> People working towards syntax improvements as well to C++
>>> now, which they believe will pave the way for semantic
>>> improvements that break backwards compatibility with C++
>>>
>>> Taken from the repo:

>> That's great to hear, C++ is a giant and uncontrollable mess
>>
>> Already looks better than Carbon
>>
>> How funny:
>> https://github.com/hsutter/cppfront#2021-is-as-and-pattern-matching
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/vision-document#other (in #other,
>> unfortunately)
>
> I'm just worried about D's place in this world where there's
> Carbon, C++26, Rust, Nim and now this 😔

You forgot about:

  - Val, https://www.val-lang.dev from Dave Abrahms and Sean Parent

  - Verona, https://microsoft.github.io/verona/ from Microsoft
Research

  - Odin, https://odin-lang.org/ already used in the games
industry, via EmberGen

Also how Go, Java, C#, F# are improving their low level coding
features (and AOT story in Java/.NET case), so that their need
for C and C++ gets reduced.

With Val, Carbon and now Cppfront coming out of the C++ community
itself, we are at an inflection point, I bet C++26 might be the
latest big revision.

So yeah, the competition to D is getting stiffer, and it is a
question of how many of those C++ disillusioned souls might
eventually find a home in D.