Cppfront : A new syntax for C++

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 06:44:05 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 15:16:20 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Then I skimmed through Sutters CppFront presentation and
> quickly realized that it doesn't help much at all.

It is just an experiment in the initial stage, clearly quite
personal at this point.

If he gets arenas right then that could be a significant
improvement. Enough to get  some adoption.

> All this time spent on trying "fix" C++, think what you could
> have done with a new language or an existing sane one.

People create new languages all the time, most die off, stagnates
and simply fail to reach critical mass.

> What's good is that the world has moved on and there are plenty
> of alternatives and more a popping up all the time.

The alternatives are most likely competing with each other and to
a lesser extent affecting C++ in the short term.

Many alternatives make it harder to build a competing eco-system.
So it isn’t obvious that this is a disadvantage for C++. If there
was a single strong contender for hardware-oriented programming
then it might hurt C++, but right now there is none.