Polling on D for Android

Hipreme msnmancini at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 16 11:34:38 UTC 2023

On Friday, 14 April 2023 at 17:40:17 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 03:57:12PM +0000, Hipreme via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I'd love to have a nicer D interface to Android.  I like to
> install the SDK/NDK by hand, so it would be nice if it was
> possible to point your script to a custom installation location.
>

>> [...]
> [...]
>
> It would be nice to have:
>
> (1) An easy way to create a text window for displaying log
> messages / debug messages for development. It's possible to do
> this manually of course, but it's just an extra barrier (you
> have to debug the debug window before you can debug the
> program!).
>
> (2) An easy way to create window and get a GL / GLES rendering
> context / canvas from it, that D code can use for further
> operations. I have an Android project (currently on the
> backburner) that does this manually, and it's just a lot of
> fiddly boilerplate. Would be ideal if a single function call or
> two could do it all for me.
>
> (3) An easy way to render text on a GLES canvas. There's a
> system libfreetype on Android but it's not very accessible to
> user code the last time I checked, you have to ship your own
> version of libfreetype, etc., etc.. It's just a lot of manual
> work, and mostly just boilerplate. Some way of automating this
> away would be very nice.

Yo! I have been working towards making it easier and easier to
use for Android. Maybe you could try using my engine for Android?
  It works building to Android from all OSes, maybe you could try?
https://github.com/MrcSnm/HipremeEngine

Just run `dub` on tools/user/build_selector, just follow the easy
instructions in a manual setup there, for gamePath try
`projects/start_here` for the time.