D is our last hope

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri Dec 8 13:29:54 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 19:21:10 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> Unreal is also full of OOP, and Unreal C++ alongside Blueprints
> uses a GC.
>
> Their business is doing quite well.

Computer games and GC is really a good match if you have room for
certain performance hit (regardless of type of GC). Many computer
games have a lot of objects, these objects also often have some
kind of relationship to each other. The lifetime and
relationships are usually totally unpredictable. If the
developers can do away with lifetime tracking and all associated
bugs that's a big win, especially when investors today seem to
have unrealistic deadlines. There are usually enough bugs as it
is anyway.

GC in computer games today is probably standard I would presume.
GC in the D language is a great thing and I don't want it to go
away, just make it better.