D is our last hope

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 18:07:35 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 10 December 2023 at 17:47:52 UTC, DLearner wrote:
> On Friday, 8 December 2023 at 09:06:34 UTC, Hors wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 at 21:26:05 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> [...]
>> This is one of biggest mistakes in dlang's design. They tried
>> to be "everything" (being both garbage collected and not,
>> being both safe and unsafe system language...), it backfired
>> because as you said, you always need to exclude some people or
>> features.
> [...]
>
> FWIW, IMO, apart from the development and maintenance effort,
> there is nothing wrong in 'trying to be everything'.  Indeed
> it's a laudable effort.

Everything here means being a c/zig replacement, c++ replacement,
python replacement and for the hell of it rust replacement

and no, there is just no way to do that; the rust replacement
plan of making a """"borrow checker"""" went nowhere, importC
isn't going to implement a 1 to 1 preprecosser so it won't ever
be useful and zig must be an ok c compiler given what people say
is done.

D should focus on being a c++ replacement; we have better
templates they just aren't well used by the std and it's not
being communicated.