D is our last hope

DLearner bmqazwsx123 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 17:47:52 UTC 2023

On Friday, 8 December 2023 at 09:06:34 UTC, Hors wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 at 21:26:05 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
[...]
> This is one of biggest mistakes in dlang's design. They tried
> to be "everything" (being both garbage collected and not, being
> both safe and unsafe system language...), it backfired because
> as you said, you always need to exclude some people or features.
[...]

FWIW, IMO, apart from the development and maintenance effort,
there is nothing wrong in 'trying to be everything'.  Indeed it's
a laudable effort.

There (was) a specific problem with the GC debate, in that there
appeared to be a real effort to 'force' developers into the GC
camp, rather than simply presenting it as an option (and I
personally think that for business application programming it is
a very good idea).
Trying to force people to do anything, even if you sincerely
believe in what you are advocating, is simply a bad idea.