D is our last hope

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue Dec 12 13:31:12 UTC 2023

On Monday, 11 December 2023 at 20:29:36 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> Right now, I'll list projects that I'm maintaining that was
> supposed to be unrelated to my project:
>
> - GLES Binding
> - Metal Binding
> - DirectX binding
> - A custom runtime for being able to use real D on WASM
> - OpenSL ES binding
> - AVAudioEngine binding
> - A custom build tool because `dub` is far from being enough to
> my purpose
> - Windowing libraries because when I started it, I didn't knew
> about adam's simpledisplay
> - Even JSON I had to reimplement, since the implementations I
> tested bring features which I don't have in my custom runtime,
> D code just seem to depend on everything, always.

I did that too, but it's difficult to call it maintenance. IME it
takes a small fraction of effort needed to make the final
product. Bindings have no logic and are immutable for all
practical purposes. JSON is a straightforward and immutable
specification and can be implemented unconsciously if you don't
overengineer too much. I wrote xml and json parsers for no
specific reason, just to test the myth that it's difficult to
parse xml and see if parsers can be reasonably implemented
without overengineering. The build tool looks like the biggest in
your list, that can use design stage and subsequent improvements.