D is our last hope

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 18:28:10 UTC 2023

On Monday, 11 December 2023 at 07:18:44 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> That D treats those two domains equally is supposed to be its
> unique selling point that no mainstream language does. I still
> fail to see why so many people pick D and then advocate for
> killing that fundamental feature. Aren't you excited about the
> thought that you can use one language to excel in both domains?

Actually, having written D full time for over 2 years now (I
chose D for my indie game stuff), I don't really see D excelling
in pretty much anything. The only stuff where I'd barely consider
using D now is its `betterC` stuff where it at least does as
advertised, and even then getting C dependencies is problematic
enough that I'd rather just use C in the first place. High level
stuff though... Yeah, D goes straight into the bin. C# gets me
where I need to be faster, even though the actual code writing is
slightly slower. D has the potential to match it, but it all
boils down to the lack of sane 3rd party libraries. Dub is a
graveyard at this point. And when you have to reinvent the wheel
all the time, it wears you down very quickly.

> Consider the two probably biggest companies using D. Symmetry
> investments used D for high level purposes. Weka.io on the
> other hand vendors a file system, which is a systems langauge
> job. If we were to declare either domain a second class
> citizen, we have to anger one of those companies.

I would've definitely rephrased that to `Consider the two
probably **only** companies using D`. I'm sorry, but this point
is laughable, considering how many companies **ditched** D in
comparison. Yeah, those two (and some more) are using D. But how
many have moved on? Take a look at "D Success Stories" page, you
will find that most of the corps listed there stopped using D a
while back.