dmd -run speed trends

Witold Baryluk witold.baryluk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 07:07:52 UTC 2023

On Friday, 8 December 2023 at 10:07:48 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 16:32:32 UTC, Witold Baryluk
> wrote:
>> I do not use `dmd -run` too often, but recently was checking
>
> Interesting project. Can you make it in the repo? Maybe others
> will send PRs for other implementation and versions of
> compilers..
> It could be interesting metric. Similar idea of the repo
> (compilation only) for example here:
> https://github.com/nordlow/compiler-benchmark

I think a better option that comparing to other languages (too
many variables), would be to track performance of the compiler on
a public dashboard.

Compile few variants, and track compile time to object code,
object code size, linking time, final executable size, and final
executable runtime and peak memory usage of compiler and
executable:

Few variants:

* No phobos, just some constructs, plus maybe `extern(C) printf`
for IO. Maybe few files (one with no templates, one with some
templates, another with some mixins and CTFEs).
* Few minor things from phobos imported (i.e. `std.stdio`,
`std.range`, and maybe 1 or 2 more things) and some
representative functions used from there.

Something like this for Mozilla in the past
https://arewefastyet.com/win10/benchmarks/overview?numDays=60
https://awsy.netlify.app/win10/memory/overview?numDays=60

Or similar to this https://fast.vlang.io/ for V programming
language  (as you can see there, they can compile entire compiler
in about a second, and hello world compile and link in 90ms -
which is actually faster than when they started with the project).