dmd -run speed trends

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 01:13:17 UTC 2023

On Friday, 8 December 2023 at 10:07:48 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> Similar idea of the repo (compilation only) for example here:
> https://github.com/nordlow/compiler-benchmark

I took a look at it and that's an interesting project, albeit
somewhat unpolished. It wasn't exactly clear what's the
difference between "Check Time", "Compile Time" and "Build Time"
from their readme until I checked the sources. Also the table is
unsorted ("Sort table primarily by build time and then check
time" in still in their TODO list). The difference is that they
are generating a large source file with a lot of functions and
calls between them to test how fast a compiler can process it.
While here in this thread we are primarily looking at a different
use case: a smallish program, which imports somewhat largish
standard libraries.

Still enabling PGO for the downloadable DMD compiler binary
releases is going to also improve nordlow's benchmark results.
And using `mold` as a faster linker would help them too.