Looking for a Lua alternative

Renato renato at athaydes.com
Sun Dec 17 21:45:20 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 14 December 2023 at 08:38:02 UTC, solidstate1991
wrote:
> some replacement.
>
> I need a lightweight scripting language with integer support
> that is either easy to interface with D (preferrably as a
> DLL/SO file, so I don't have to deal with godawful C/C++ build
> systems), or at least would be easy to port within a few weeks.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Roblox has forked Lua and
improved it a bit, including adding types to it so it does have
proper int types.

https://luau-lang.org/

I had a look and it seems to run twice as fast as Lua when types
are specified... not groundbreaking but pretty good... and it
seems to be about as small as Lua (they removed some stuff to
make it safer to embed in games by default, but added some new
stuff as well).