D is our last hope

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:48:02 UTC 2023

On Monday, 18 December 2023 at 14:08:19 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> Also telling they get the job done "quietly", are you trying
>> to hide the fact dlang is nearly dead
>
> It doesn't add anything to the conversation to make ridiculous
> claims like this with no evidence. Calling D "nearly dead"
> indicates you're not making a good faith effort to participate
> in a discussion.

I find it very funny how every time I ask anybody to show me any
"real app" written in D (to prove that D isn't dead), nobody can
do it. All I hear is "Symmetry this" and "Symmetry that".
Sometimes DPlug comes by. But I still haven't seen any real life
useful app being developed in D. Never. So it's always either
Symmetry, either some rumors about some company allegedly using D
back in 2015 to do something with no real proof that D is still
there or it was used in the first place.

What is the point of a programming language? For me, it's to make
software. If the software isn't being made - the language is dead.

> They didn't post complaints, they wrote code. Then once they
> wrote all those libraries, other people used them.

For real? People complain about Python all the time. And because
of those complaints something is being done about it. People
complain because they care. When people stop complaining it's a
telltale sign that they stopped caring (or left). Which is
probably why you don't see a lot of complaints about D - because
nobody is really writing D anyway. Every single person has left
already.

> What will help this language at this point is working on
> libraries, documentation, tutorials, etc.

I have been saying the same thing for a logn time now. But
now-now, I say nobody will write libraries for a language that
actively prevents you from writing libraries in the first place.
Like, why do you expect someone to do their job when they
**dare** to complain about stuff? The amount of times I've been
told to "shut up and do it yourself" is seriously unacceptable.
To a degree of being told "just fork the lang if you don't like
it". This is no way to drive in contributors.

On Monday, 18 December 2023 at 15:14:51 UTC, Hors wrote:
> From me: all languages haves something to offer, like python is
> beginner friendly, C was the master of it's time, Rust allows
> you to write good performant and safe code. But I can't really
> see whats D has to offer, D has many features of course, but
> when you using libraries, you may need to throw away half of
> the D.

Actually, over time, D became significantly lacking in features
compared to other languages. The world has changed, and at this
point in time, with Native AOT being a thing and producing
reasonably sized executables, C# became a much better choice for
me. And guess where I'm going to :)