D is our last hope

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 17:54:14 UTC 2023

On Monday, 18 December 2023 at 16:44:38 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> Maybe they're just ignoring your request, because as soon as
> "real" enters the discussion, you know everything being said is
> BS. In discussions of programming languages, real applications
> are what I write, toy applications are what everyone else
> writes.
>
> All I have to do is open my computer to see it being used for
> real apps. I'm not going to waste my time telling you about it,
> because you'll dismiss it as a toy, and I won't get those five
> minutes back.

They are ignoring me because they know what I really mean. Just
pointing a few projects isn't going to cut it, and people
understand it. Obviously, even the most dead language in the
world is going to have a few projects written in them. For any
non-dead language the list should be miles long, as is the case
with C#, Rust, Swift, Kotlin, etc. You wouldn't need to resort to
`A bit outdated, but still relevant project` to name even
hundreds of programs written in Kotlin, yet here it begins after
naming just 5. Not to mention, that I contributed personally to
several things off that list and have to keep a vectorflow fork
up just to make it compile since original author won't accept PRs
anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, I think D is the only language that needs to reassure its
alive-ness by having "orgs using D" page (which in reality does
even more harm than good, and it's kind of funny in its own way).
I have never seen anything like that for other languages. Why
don't we just admit that people are not really doing much with D
and work on fixing it?

P.S. That "I've got to fix this myself because the original
author isn't doing much themselves anymore" thing has happened to
me so many times at this point that I'm genuinely sick of it.