D is our last hope

Hors q at q.com
Mon Dec 18 19:01:38 UTC 2023

On Monday, 18 December 2023 at 17:54:14 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> On Monday, 18 December 2023 at 16:44:38 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> Maybe they're just ignoring your request, because as soon as
>> "real" enters the discussion, you know everything being said
>> is BS. In discussions of programming languages, real
>> applications are what I write, toy applications are what
>> everyone else writes.
>>
>> All I have to do is open my computer to see it being used for
>> real apps. I'm not going to waste my time telling you about
>> it, because you'll dismiss it as a toy, and I won't get those
>> five minutes back.
>
> They are ignoring me because they know what I really mean. Just
> pointing a few projects isn't going to cut it, and people
> understand it. Obviously, even the most dead language in the
> world is going to have a few projects written in them. For any
> non-dead language the list should be miles long, as is the case
> with C#, Rust, Swift, Kotlin, etc. You wouldn't need to resort
> to `A bit outdated, but still relevant project` to name even
> hundreds of programs written in Kotlin, yet here it begins
> after naming just 5. Not to mention, that I contributed
> personally to several things off that list and have to keep a
> vectorflow fork up just to make it compile since original
> author won't accept PRs anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>
> Also, I think D is the only language that needs to reassure its
> alive-ness by having "orgs using D" page (which in reality does
> even more harm than good, and it's kind of funny in its own
> way). I have never seen anything like that for other languages.
> Why don't we just admit that people are not really doing much
> with D and work on fixing it?
>
> P.S. That "I've got to fix this myself because the original
> author isn't doing much themselves anymore" thing has happened
> to me so many times at this point that I'm genuinely sick of it.

Some people wants to just make things stay how they want, while
ignoring others. Of course this can never be case for real, no
one is superior to me (and vice versa), my existence can't be
ignored just because others don't agree with me.

And I am sure they will soon reply "Just quit D and use other
languages", I am answering:
Of course it is easy to just switch language and never look back.
if we discuss here, then we still care about D and hope to change
things (in a good way), but of course some "superiors" here not
wants that and tries making things harder (just to waste their
and our time).