D is our last hope

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 20:07:23 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 19:46:07 UTC, monkyyy wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 19:24:49 UTC, Konstantin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 16:59:21 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>>
>>> My opinion has now for several years been that D must be
>>> forked because there are a lot of people that wants D to
>>> progress and catch up.
>>
>> * So why is there no language forks? Maybe they are existed,
>> but I have never heard about them.
>
> Theres several "I HATE THIS CODE BASE IM MAKING MY OWN
> LANGUGE"; "neat" for example

Neat is not a fork! While I do think the DMDFE code base has
problems (seriously, figure out a way to dogfood Phobos, it's
insane that the premier project in the language refuses to use
its stdlib), Neat is more trying to pull D into directions that
it's reluctant to go at the moment, ie. good refcounting, better
caching, macros, proper package system. See my DConf23 talk! At
any rate, it's not a fork though, it's a straight-up different
language. I steal D syntax wherever I can, but that's just
imitation, there's no lineage from DMD to the Neat compiler.