D is our last hope

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Dec 19 20:37:02 UTC 2023

On 12/19/2023 12:07 PM, FeepingCreature wrote:
> figure out a way to dogfood Phobos, it's insane that the premier
> project in the language refuses to use its stdlib)

There is a good reason for that. It's very difficult to debug the compiler when
the reason it is failing is a code gen bug that is breaking Phobos in some
unknown way. Debugging Phobos is (unfortunately) difficult because too much of
Phobos imports every other module in Phobos. (We'd like to fix that for the next
iteration of Phobos.)

It's hard to port dmd to a new platform when it relies on Phobos and Phobos is
not working on the new platform, a chicken-and-egg problem.

In order for our ease of debugging, we keep dmd's dependence on other code at a
minimum.