D is our last hope

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 20:48:04 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 20:37:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/19/2023 12:07 PM, FeepingCreature wrote:
>> figure out a way to dogfood Phobos, it's insane that the
>> premier project in the language refuses to use its stdlib)
>
> There is a good reason for that. It's very difficult to debug
> the compiler when the reason it is failing is a code gen bug
> that is breaking Phobos in some unknown way. Debugging Phobos
> is (unfortunately) difficult because too much of Phobos imports
> every other module in Phobos. (We'd like to fix that for the
> next iteration of Phobos.)
>
> It's hard to port dmd to a new platform when it relies on
> Phobos and Phobos is not working on the new platform, a
> chicken-and-egg problem.
>
> In order for our ease of debugging, we keep dmd's dependence on
> other code at a minimum.

This makes little sense to me. You wouldn't *start* by making DMD
run on the new platform, but the port would start with a
cross-build from your old platform to the new platform, surely?
I'd want to have the testsuite and every other tool passing on
the new platform before I even try running DMD natively. And this
problem only arises when you try to run DMD natively from the
start, right? Or am I misunderstanding?