D is our last hope

DrDread DrDread at cheese.com
Thu Dec 21 10:59:29 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 20 December 2023 at 19:07:06 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/20/2023 3:19 AM, duckchess wrote:
>> no, you took the examples while completely misunderstanding
>> what the specification actually said, and then argued a
>> strawman with those examples.
>
> Then the specification was unclear.

It really was not unclear. but you are missing the point here.
it doesn't matter if it was or wasn't unclear, we are losing
contributors because of this whole attitude.
there an implementation now so you cannot misunderstand it.
people are running their own compiler fork because it's too much
pain to get anything into dmd.
and you refuse to just look at the implementation and insist on
having a specification again, but people are doing this in their
free time, and are annoyed their work is constantly getting
dismissed.

that'S why i said, if you really want to insist on a spec getting
written, please just go and ask the D language foundation to pay
adam to write one. or we will just again lose all the good work
and probably more contributors.

we need a change to attract contributors.