D is our last hope

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 12:29:25 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 21 December 2023 at 10:59:29 UTC, DrDread wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 December 2023 at 19:07:06 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 12/20/2023 3:19 AM, duckchess wrote:
>>> no, you took the examples while completely misunderstanding
>>> what the specification actually said, and then argued a
>>> strawman with those examples.
>>
>> Then the specification was unclear.
>
> It really was not unclear. but you are missing the point here.
> it doesn't matter if it was or wasn't unclear, we are losing
> contributors because of this whole attitude.
> there an implementation now so you cannot misunderstand it.
> people are running their own compiler fork because it's too
> much pain to get anything into dmd.
> and you refuse to just look at the implementation and insist on
> having a specification again, but people are doing this in
> their free time, and are annoyed their work is constantly
> getting dismissed.
>
> that'S why i said, if you really want to insist on a spec
> getting written, please just go and ask the D language
> foundation to pay adam to write one. or we will just again lose
> all the good work and probably more contributors.
>
> we need a change to attract contributors.

Alright, this is getting out of hand. Walter asked for a spec so
he could fully grasp the implementation, and Adam refused to
write it. Atila volunteered to do so. He explained he was going
on vacation for a few weeks and would get to it when he got back.
He got back, got caught up on work, and has since been working to
write the spec from Adam's implementation.

This is in spite of our policy right now to focus on
stabilization and bug fixes rather than new features. Moreover,
Atila has prioritized this over the editions document, so that's
going to be delayed because of it.

So, let's be clear, Adam isn't being ignored here. Walter is
going to review the spec once Atila finishes it. And then he will
make a decision on it.

I'm sorry that Adam feels it isn't happening fast enough, but his
string interpolation implementation is not the only thing that
needs attention right now. It's going to get a fair shake, even
if it doesn't happen as quickly as he or anyone else would like.