D is our last hope

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 01:21:38 UTC 2023

On Friday, 22 December 2023 at 20:54:02 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Friday, 22 December 2023 at 00:19:36 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 12/21/2023 9:14 AM, aberba wrote:
>>> Is a spec required when submitting a feature?
>>
>> Yes, unless it is trivial.
>

>>> Looks like it a lot of work.
>>
>> They're not that much work, they're certainly a lot easier
>> than an implementation.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier if there's at least an interest shown
> towards such efforts? It looks to me that the implementation is
> good (considering Atila is looking to write the Spec in the
> format you consider appropriate). So now, with an
> implementation and docs already done, it could be reassuring if
> the authors are made to know if you're willing to include the
> implementation or not considering it's a lot of work
> implementing the feature and writing a spec only to find out
> it's not going to be included at all. D is a small community so
> I feel it makes sense that the process is adjusted a bit to be
> more "human".

This isn't about the feature itself, but the implementation.
We're going to get string interpolation. Walter has an
implementation that he prefers. There's already been a good deal
of discussion about Adam's implementation here in the forums.
Adam brought it up in a monthly meeting. That's when Walter asked
for a spec. He wants to be sure he understands it fully so that
he can make a fair judgement.