D is our last hope

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 09:49:09 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 23 December 2023 at 06:51:38 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/22/2023 1:47 AM, GrimMaple wrote:
>> Not the case with ImportC apparently, when you can just show
>> up, make a 5K LOC PR out of thin air, mark it "trivial" and
>> have 0 spec or rationale prepared. Good double standards bro.
>
> ImportC was not a D language change. C has a standard, C11,
> which ImportC implements.

We had this talk before, and you now it's a lie. If ImportC was
just a C compiler - fine (not really fine, but at least your
point would stand). But ImportC has to extensively communicate
with D code, which requires specification on topics including,
but not limited to:

* How C code should be imported in the first place (directly
changes how `import` works)
* How parts of C code should be translated to usable D code
(unclear, nobody discussed that)
* How to translate incompatible C `const` to D's `const` (no
solution exists to this day, and you choose to ignore criticism
on this topic)
* How to expand and use macros

And that's just what I could thinkg of from the top of my head.
Go ahead and tell me all of that requires no specification.