D is our last hope

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Dec 24 06:03:27 UTC 2023

On 12/23/2023 3:59 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
> There are a few in the bugzilla.

Here's a list:

https://issues.dlang.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=importc&list_id=246572

> None is really a blocker, but some defeat the
> purpose of the feature, which is importing unmodified C headers.

It'll never be perfect, as some C features have no analog in D, such as token
pasting macros.

> dstep + tweaks

I.e. dstep requires tweaks and some adaptation work, too.

 > or manual translation is still a saner option.

Many people who have tried ImportC have found it cuts manual translation time by
well over 90%, which is a ginormous improvement. Time is money!

Nevertheless, I continue to make improvements to reduce the tweaking required.

dstep and manual conversion is still an option for everyone.