Worse than impolite

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 02:29:22 UTC 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyhb9hMOoEo

> I am just an observer, and I always wonder how Walter has
> managed to get people to contribute so much to D; this is not
> easy in a non-commercial loosely managed opensource project.

D is a very good programming language. dmd compiles fast and
is... sometimes pretty easy to hack on. Some of the code is a
mess, but a good chunk of it isn't bad at all, once you get to
know it.

You can be productive with it as-is, but there's parts that could
be better, and the code is just approachable enough to take a
stab at it.

You're often encouraged at first too, able to get some little
things in, told that Walter likes the idea, and if you do these
other things, they can happen too.

But then, little did you know, there was some cosmic dice rolled.
Some will win, some will lose. Some are born to sing the blues.

D is so close to amazing though. Don't stop believing, hold on to
that feeling! Just put in a little more work and you can get over
the top. You're encouraged to refine the proposal and resubmit.

Work hard to get your fill. Everybody wants a thrill of the
merge, you'll do anything and roll the dice just one more time.

You keep working, up and down the PR thread. Thumbs-up emoji,
living just to find a chance.

Don't stop believing! Hold on that feeling!