Monorepo?

Mathias LANG geod24 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:24:36 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 14 February 2023 at 06:55:50 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

> In what way would they step on each others toes (more than they
> do separately)? A single repo solves a real problem, which is
> all the PITA caused when doing cross-cutting changes and an
> overly complex developer experience full of silly pitfalls and
> careful juggling (oh, right, I need to git pull on the other
> repo as well, maybe? Which dmd is this building with again? Oh
> damn I forgot to switch branches in 3 places at once). Putting
> aside status quo bias, any separation should also solve
> something comparable.

Agreed that the developer experience is currently sub-par.

The way I see the monorepo reasoning, it is attempting to solve
systemic problems that surface when a few dimensions (at least
projects & members, perhaps others) reach a very large scale.
When you have more than 10k developers, employing someone to save
them 10 minutes each per day is actually a 10x improvement.

What we will mostly loose by having a monorepo is a visible
interface between core language and standard library. The
interface will be less apparent, and easier to break. We have
very concrete evidence that this is something that leads to
problems (Tango/Phobos), and the separation exists today because
of this.

In recent meetings, Walter complained that the DMD test suite
depends on Phobos, and he's right. Fixing this problem would
alleviate some of the issues you're describing it. LDC fixed that
issue, and I think GDC did too, but DMD didn't yet.