Monorepo?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:14:52 UTC 2023

On Monday, 20 February 2023 at 23:58:44 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> They are not in any way related.  Having phobos in the same
> repo as dmd does not make [2] go away. The lament being made is
> that Phobos is being built before running the testsuite, not
> that Phobos is in a separate repo.

The claim never was that having phobos in the same repo makes the
problem go away. In fact there is no such claim. However, it was
claimed that using separate repos prevent this types of issues,
which is a self detonating claim.

> Regarding [1], I know the reference, however it's not clearly
> spelled out.  D used to be maintained in one repository, it
> nearly killed the language. In the most pessimistic outlook,
> the split took the wind out of D's sails, and left the language
> permanently on the horizon. The end result of the fallout being
> druntime got removed from phobos, severing any ties between
> core and standard runtime libraries so that the likes of Tango
> or Ocean could co-exist with D compiler/core.

While I was already a D user back then, I wasn't involved in the
way I am now, so I do not have this much background. However, it
is relatively obvious that a language ending up with 2 standard
library is the byproduct of some severe problem and I would be
very surprised if the explaination was as simple as a repository
organisation question. In fact, if I had to bet, I would bet
against this hypothesis even without the full knwoledge of the
background.