Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 11 05:27:05 UTC 2023

On 1/10/2023 8:32 PM, Don Allen wrote:
> Do you carry a cellphone? There are risks, as I'm sure you well know.

Yeah, I do. But I don't build my life around the phone, because I'm aware of
what happens when it gets hacked, stolen, lost, etc. Pegasus can remotely read
everything you do on your phone. You can catch Pegasus by clicking on a link. A
password manager is useless when faced by that.

> I have
> friends at MIT who won't use them who, I'm quite sure, would agree with you
> about password managers. Use credit cards? See what Richard Stallman has to say
> about that. Write checks? Risks.

I've had my credit cards stolen, and my checking account compromised. Both were
a fair amount of work to fix. But it's not *ALL* of my online accounts.

I keep things compartmentalized, like how airplanes are designed. Airplanes are
deliberately designed to withstand any single failure and land safely. They can
lose an engine, a pilot, a wing spar, a hydraulic system, a bird strike, a hole
in the cabin, jammed actuators, etc. The incredible safety record of airliners
shows this works.

I take my cues from that.