Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:32:41 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 04:03:02 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 1/10/2023 7:39 PM, Don Allen wrote:
>> I'm not looking for zero risk, which is impossible. I'm
>> looking for the most reasonable operating point. Again,
>> cost/risk vs. benefit.
>
> I don't know your situation, but losing all my passwords would
> be a disaster for me. I've had my checking account compromised,
> credit cards compromised several times. Multiply that by a
> hundred.
>
> I've seen sob stories on HackerNews were some victim had has
> Mac compromised, and the hacker then took over all his
> accounts, changed the passwords, and started impersonating the
> victim.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the "victim" did something
dumb. If you use your wife's maiden name as the password of your
Google account, don't enable 2FA, and your account gets hacked,
are you a victim? I don't think so. Information for how to
protect yourself online is everywhere. People ignore it, just as
they ignore warnings about smoking.

> Apple won't fix it for you, Google won't fix it for you, Amazon
> won't fix it for you.
>
> You're borked.
>
> No thanks.

Well, you and I just have a different set of weighting factors.

Do you carry a cellphone? There are risks, as I'm sure you well
know. I have friends at MIT who won't use them who, I'm quite
sure, would agree with you about password managers. Use credit
cards? See what Richard Stallman has to say about that. Write
checks? Risks.

I think this is just like getting on an airplane or driving a
car. Most of us accept the risks in return for the benefits. But
not all.