Allocator-aware @safe reference counting is still not possible

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 02:07:11 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 22 January 2023 at 15:50:27 UTC, Richard (Rikki)
Andrew Cattermole wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 4:28 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
>> I'm pretty much convinced we need isolated.
>
> I'm not. When I first got a link to that paper I certainly
> didn't understand even the basic concepts. Variable based
> borrow checker is much easier to understand comparatively.

I can’t claim to be an expert, but I’ve read some on isolated and
some smart people here like the idea. The borrow checker
certainly has some similarities. With the borrow checker, you can
have an unlimited number of const references or a single mutable
reference. Isolated means you can at most have a single mutable
way of accessing some data. So it’s missing that either/or-ness
of the borrow checker, if I understand it correctly. Another
question is whether an affine type or qualifier is better than
@live for handling the borrow checker behavior. If such a thing
existed would there be a demand for isolated?