[OT] Scala Resurrection

Ki Rill rill.ki at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 15:19:03 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 26 January 2023 at 11:30:02 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka
wrote:
> Today D2 is useful for developing software. But it's like
> building a house on a sleeping volcano. Even if everything is
> relatively calm right now, nobody knows when it is going to
> erupt and cause massive damage to the existing ecosystem. Also
> here's a quote from the linked Scala post:
>
>     "As part of this transformation, Scala 3 needs to commit to
> backward
>     compatibility, like Java, Go, and all other commercial
> programming
>     languages. There can never again be a “Scala 3”-style
> boil-the-ocean,
>     greenfield language rewrite. It’s time for the language to
> stabilize,
>     and for the focus to shift to commercial interests,
> including bug fixes,
>     improved performance, enhanced tool support, and
> optimizing."

That's what I would like D to focus on. Stabilizing itself,
enhancing its features and fixing bugs.

I have always thought that new features are too easily accepted
into the language. We do not need more bureaucratic processes,
but rather a measure that will segregate what is needed or fits
the language and what does not, no matter how convenient that
awesome feature might be. But I guess it has to do with the
philosophy of D; although, what's the philosophy of D? Need to do
some reading...

---

I have never written any compiler code, so I maybe biased since I
do not know the state of D in that realm... But, what I would
like to see is a gradual progression and improvement of D: D2.99
=> D3.00

No jumping from D2 to D3 and breaking existing code. We do have a
deprecating cycle/procedure, don't we? Let's gradually improve.

A few quotes:
```
The language should be as simple as possible, then you should be
able to do complex things with it. - Eskil Steenberg.

Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules repeated without end.
- Benoit Mandelbrot.
     C is a great example of this. So many complex and powerful
systems created that still
     run the world today. If C could, D can too.

Valuation can change over time.
     I don't remember where it came from, but it reminds me, what
we build should be robust
     and withstand time; just like C did it, but the D way.

Everything that works is pretty simple.

Confidence is competence - actually knowing what you're doing.
     I interpret this quote this way: D must become competent at a
one or two things before
     people become confident in the language. I think D does great
on the GC part.

To be the best is the lonely rocky road. You need to have the
passion to be with it both for ups and downs. - Kunal Desai.
     Well, D is the best. So it's natural we struggle a little,
but it gets better over
     time.

Don't style-drift. Pick what works for you and practice it
perfect. Don't be temped to go elsewhere. - Jason Leavitt.
     We shouldn't be torn apart by the plethora of new features
and techniques that are
     devised nowadays. D was innovating years ago, maybe it's time
for D shift its focus on
     improving the ecosystem, whilst watching what happens on the
other side of a river,
     and gradually adopt what works. Because:

Either way, those who try to follow the trends have on their hard
drives dozens of scripts that they can't run anymore.
```
---

Thank you for your hard work, D dev team!