[OT] Scala Resurrection

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 15:21:46 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 26 January 2023 at 11:30:02 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka
wrote:
> There are some useful language features that are missing. For
> example, I want to be able to return multiple values from a
> function and assign them to multiple variables, which is a
> feature that is implemented by pretty much every other
> programming language (even C++17 in the form of "structured
> binding"). But if somebody says that we can have it in D only
> in a way that breaks the existing software, then this won't
> make me happy and you will see some "resistance".

I believe tuples and structured binding in C++ is just
syntactical sugar over returning a struct, so I don't think it
should be considered a breaking change.

Anyway, the landscape is changing, I think for many programmers
in 2023 considers Java/C#, TypeScript, Python and C++20 as a
baseline. So for a language to stand out it either has to match
the most useful features of those languages or add something
truly unique.

Modern C# and Python provides a rich and fairly consistent user
experience too, so that raises the bar for all other languages.

The seemingly ever-increasing use of cloud/GPU for heavy lifting
makes that more pronounced too. And this trend will continue as
GPUs and compilers targeting GPUs become more and more flexible.