Planning Update June 23 & 30 -- Bugzilla to GitHub; Deprecations

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 11:08:02 UTC 2023

I'm able to report on a couple of decisions that we reached over
the past two planning meetings.

### Bugzilla to GitHub migration

The update on this is likely to result in quite a bit of
discussion, so I've [put it in a separate
thread](https://forum.dlang.org/post/kttzxwbbvdpzxlmoyvyo@forum.dlang.org).

### Deprecation policy

Deprecating `alias this` in classes was a mistake. Walter
proposed that we revert it, and everyone got on board.

We also agreed with Walter's proposal to review other recent
deprecations to determine if they were inappropriate or have
caused unintended problems and, if so, examine if they can be
reverted without causing new problems.

Going forward, we're going to take a much more conservative
stance on deprecations:

* nothing should be deprecated unless there's a very compelling
reason ("this feature was a mistake and people shouldn't be using
it" is not a compelling reason)
* every deprecation should have a clear path for migration,
automated if possible
* the person implementing a deprecation will be responsible for
updating projects that trigger it in our BuildKite tests

Down the road, we'll need to decide on a better path for evolving
the language. Atila thinks "editions" or "epochs" are the way to
go, as he has mentioned in a couple of DConf talks. But that's
for a future discussion. For now, we're still focused on
stabilization.

### Upcoming meetings

We've got a quarterly meeting with industry reps on July 7. Reps
from Ahrefs and Decard will be joining us for the first time.

Our next monthly meeting is happening on July 14th.

Or next planning session is slotted for July 21st.

I'll have the summary for the June monthly meeting finished in a
few days. You can usually see the bigger tasks I'm currently
working on in the [Strengthen the Community
project](https://github.com/orgs/dlang/projects/24/views/1?layout=board) on our GitHub projects page. I try to keep the notes on each in-progress task up to date.