the semi official dockerhub image for dmd is getting seriously outdated

Basile B. basile.b at gmx.com
Fri Jul 7 09:17:47 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 5 July 2023 at 12:29:06 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 February 2022 at 10:00:19 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> On the [download page](https://dlang.org/download.html) it is
>> suggested as a way to get DMD:
>>
>>    https://hub.docker.com/r/dlang2/dmd-ubuntu
>>
>> But it is outdated. The latest image provides dmd 2.096.1.
>>
>> It would be nice to have a more reliable one (i.e 100 %
>> official) or at least if the problem that prevents the current
>> one to be updated get resolved.
>
> There is also https://hub.docker.com/u/dlanguage - but this one
> even more outdated.
>
> The most updated version I found is this one
> https://github.com/dlangchina/docker-dlang/tree/master
> But it lacks of Alpine version. Also I think Slim type of the
> base is more popular than regular Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> I also asked to have more official and fresh one in Discord

I use custom images nowadays. I encourage you to do so because it
is more conveniant as during the CI you don't have to use `apt`
(or `dnf`/`rpm` for me...) to install additional software anymore.

You can just put everything that's required in the image and your
CI script then simply consists of `dub test` or `sh test.sh`,
etc, i.e a one liner. Also service outages (dub registry...)
while running the CI are less a problem.

Last in date here is [this
one](https://gitlab.com/basile.b/dexed/-/blob/master/setup/Dockerfile)

An example [that installs a local DUB
package](https://gitlab.com/styx-lang/styx/-/blob/master/misc/dockerfiles/test-image.fedora.x86_64/Dockerfile), so that no network activity is required during the tests (DUB is called with `--skip-registry=all`).