Shortcomings of D-Style Fused Operator Overloading

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Fri Jul 7 10:39:40 UTC 2023

On 07/07/2023 10:34 PM, Quirin Schroll wrote:
> On Friday, 7 July 2023 at 09:38:37 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew
> Cattermole wrote:
>> This does beg the question, should we be supporting Unicode
>> mathematical symbols for operators?
>
> No. If an editor, font, or terminal doesn’t support this, you’re in a
> bad spot. We had this discussion already. Anyone can use a OTF/TTF font
> that displays <= as a wider ≤ and call it a day if they want to.

We are not talking about basic comparison operators that can be
represented in a glyph by a ligature.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U27C0.pdf

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2A00.pdf

There is a lot of mathematical operators which have no equivalent
operator overload.