Shortcomings of D-Style Fused Operator Overloading

IchorDev zxinsworld at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 12:01:42 UTC 2023

On Friday, 7 July 2023 at 10:39:40 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew
Cattermole wrote:

> We are not talking about basic comparison operators that can be
> represented in a glyph by a ligature.
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2200.pdf
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U27C0.pdf
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2A00.pdf
>
> There is a lot of mathematical operators which have no
> equivalent operator overload.

I hope that would never happen. I'm a programmer, I have no idea
how to read mathematical operators. I don't want to be forced to
decipher the code of others that uses them. It's already enough
of a headache when I want to research a *computer science* topic
and everything gets explained exclusively in complicated
mathematical notation. I'm not a mathematician, I work
exclusively with numbers of finite complexity.
Additionally, mathematical operators present a huge readability
issue. People had enough trouble differentiating (e.g.) `5l` and
`51` that `5l` was removed. Many mathematical operators look way
too similar unless they're magnified. I think functions with
shortened names are just fine...