D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 14:44:00 UTC 2023

On 6/8/23 10:37 AM, GrimMaple wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 June 2023 at 14:26:56 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> That's a segfault bug in the compiler, not an intentional language issue.
>>
>> I would love to ensure that every release of the compiler doesn't have
>> any bugs, please let me know when you have figured out how to
>> guarantee that.
>
> I like your sarcasm, but I didn't bring up the linked issue, as a
> segfault is obviously not related to my experience. Even though it adds
> an insult to injury.

I'm very interested in hearing problems that aren't compiler bugs
though. So when I ask, please bring an issue, and the answer is this,
then what am I to say?

> I am particularly displeased with the community attitude of "link or
> didn't happen", because you personally know me and know how much
> struggle I had with trying to code in D.

I know it does happen, I know some of the issues you have faced. As I
said, I'm not saying you are wrong. But what can someone like me do if
it's just "things are bad, please help"? I'm ready to help! I just need
to see what's happening.

The truth is, D *shouldn't* break code. It's not an intentional thing
(most of the time). We have a set of something like 50 or 60 3rd-party
projects that are CI tested with every PR. So the assertion that the
core team doesn't care about 3rd party is simply wrong. But what can we
do to help, if there is no specifics?

-Steve