D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 15:11:50 UTC 2023

On 6/8/23 10:56 AM, GrimMaple wrote:
> The truth is, I've been nagging about LTS branches, and I've been
> nagging directly to Mike about it, and it went nowhere.
> Per "core team doesn't care", when was the last time they had any
> meaningful meeting with said third party? When did they ask 3rd party
> developers directly about what they want or what they need? When did
> core team asked about "is it okay to deprecate this"?
> The buildkite link is a joke in itself. It has some random packages,
> many of which are either deprecated, either abandoned. It doesn't even
> include most of the https://code.dlang.org/?sort=score list.

An LTS branch needs at least one dedicated person to keep it up to date
with any bug fixes that happen in the main line. This is not a trivial task.

I think it would be fantastic to have, I don't know what the DLF has in
terms of resources to make it happen.

As far as 3rd party input, they have started inviting community members
into the monthly meetings. I attended the last one, along with 2 others.
Maybe ask Mike about attending?

Adding libs to buildkite requires someone to set up the buildkite CI,
it's not too hard. But I just noticed, the one I got added was removed
(MartinNowak/io), I probably was contacted about it, but I don't remember.

But this isn't something that DLF is going to do itself. If you want
your project added, all you have to do is make the PR:
https://github.com/dlang/ci/blob/master/buildkite.sh

And then you have to be responsive to any issues that happen because CI
fails to build.

-Steve