D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Jun 8 15:48:26 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 8 June 2023 at 13:38:20 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:

> I wish I was exaggerating, but __every__ new DMD version breaks
> some of my code, to a smaller or bigger extent. It can be
> either my own code, or dependency code, but I started drowning
> in deprecation messages or outright breakage. It's nearly
> impossible to develop any reasonable 3rdparty in those
> conditions. I'm tired of fixing things that weren't broken. And
> I can't even imagine having to support multiple branches of
> code because of those deprecations. But I probably should, as,
> periodically, I get issues that dlangui can't compile with some
> outdated dmd version. It's just insane!
>
> Recently, some of the changes resulted in direct API changes.
> This is unacceptable, as it, basically, forces people to update
> major versions and split the codebase between "before" and
> "after". Also forcing them to support two version of the same
> thing.

Thank you for sharing this and this is a valid concern indeed.
Unfortunately D is run as a hobbyist project for langauage geeks
with little concern for the professional environment. It is
nothing wrong with language geeks having a project but it doesn't
mix well with projects that require stable language+stdlib. I
repeat over and over again, we need to start with D3 so that
language geeks can have a platform without interfering with D2.
D2 should be put in maintenance mode now and the language should
be considered to be finished.