D has become unbearable and it needs to stop

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:22:10 UTC 2023

On Friday, 9 June 2023 at 08:05:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> It's not about not caring about it. It's just that I can't see
> how it would be effective. Making LTS versions balkanizes the
> language into multiple languages, which will play hell with 3rd
> party library maintenance.

I disagree with this statement, and I see a lot of people
agreeing with my disagreement :)
LTS is LTS for a reason, meaning that 3rdparty will (ideally)
only target LTS, without having to target unpredictable compiler.
I don't understand how this is going to be worse for 3rd party, I
only see wins. Have you read the thread btw?  I already posted an
example (https://github.com/FreeSlave/icontheme/issues/2) where
one person outright __refused__ to do anything about their broken
code. I'll copy-paste the reasoning (it's about deprecated alias
this):

> Honestly I don't know how to fix it without breaking/revamping
> the code.
> The solution proposed in the dmd changelog didn't work for me.
> It also looks wrong and insufficient at all.

As for tis part:
> Clearly, the deprecation scheme is not serving our users well.
> We'll have to find a better way.

The better way has been proposed already, it's just being
dismissed without consideration. What is your take, what will
allow us to have an LTS branch?